Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sally

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live with a Linguistics major with a passion for ceramics? I knew you did. Well, today's your lucky day: I'm going to share my experience with you.

This is Sally:

Sally's an expert at ceramic glazes and when I say expert, I mean the girl's a pro. So much so, in fact, that she helps some people with their ceramic thesis projects, which results in conversations such as these:

Charlotte: What did you do today?
Sally: Well, I was helping this girl with her thesis project.
Charlotte: Yeah?
Sally: Yeah, she's making cups shaped like breasts and we spent hours finding the perfect areolar color.

Sally also does things like x-bar theory, which is when you take a sentence and put it in some sort of tree diagram and sometimes it takes her hours to do one sentence and she gets really frustrated and will go slightly crazy. And sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I find things like this on the kitchen counter:

When I asked her about this, she answered that she didn't even remember writing it; she was on an x-bar high.
Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. so, i wikipediad (sort of like googled) the x-bar theory. I think i love your roommate, just because the theory was proposed by the biggest BAMF in the whole wide world: Noam Chomsky!He is mah favorite psychology person (LAD). other than that, i did not really get the x-bar theory... but i do like a good pair of jug mugs! send 'em over! it's christmas!

    -billy

    ReplyDelete